Everyone knows great things happen when America parties with tea, so we have the perfect twist for your 4th of July bash! A Twisted Tea Spicy BBQ Sauce!
Twisted Tea is a refreshing, non-carbonated hard iced tea (5% ABV) that's brewed with real tea making it the ideal sidekick for all your summer activities and the perfect alternative to beer, wine and cocktails.
Twisted Tea is not only the perfect drink for your 4th of July BBQ, but you can cook with it too! Unwind this holiday with an unexpected twist on your traditional barbecue: this Twisted Tea BBQ sauce brings a sweet balance to the rich tomato flavor.
Twisted Tea Spicy BBQ Sauce
Yield: About 3 Cups
- 1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2/3 lb Roma tomatoes, halved
- 5 large cloves garlic, crushed and peeled
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
- 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 2 cups Twisted Tea
- 1 1/3 cups ketchup
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon unsulfured molasses
- 1 heaping tablespoon chili powder
- 1 heaping tablespoon smoked sweet paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- Heat oven to 375 degrees. Put onion, tomatoes and garlic on a baking sheet. Drizzle with 2 tbsp of the oil, season with pepper and salt, and toss to coat vegetables with seasoning. Spread vegetables in a single layer and roast at 375 degrees for 30 minutes or until soft and browned in places.
- Remove vegetables from oven and scrape into a large saucepan. Add Twisted Tea, ketchup, cider vinegar, orange juice, brown sugar, white vinegar, Worcestershire, molasses, chili powder, paprika, coriander and cumin and whisk to combine. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, 2 hours or more, stirring occasionally, until liquid is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Let sauce cool to room temperature.
- Pour sauce into a blender and puree, adding water if necessary to reach the consistency of barbecue sauce. Adjust seasoning to taste.